Thursday 24 October 2013

Instant Mold the trials..

So the other day I picked up some Instant Mold and Milliput (you can read about it HERE) and spent the last 2 days playing around.


So what have I learnt?
I jumped straight into the deep end and started with 3D Object molding, which with Instant Mold Push Molding have both plus and negative over Resin Casting.

Positives:

Reusable
Cheap
Usable with both Green/Grey stuff and Milliput

Negatives:

Hard to line up both sides of the mold 100%
Milliput sticks to the mold
Needs boiling water
Milliput takes along time to set
Soft details when used with Milliput

Well anyway I've made 4 molds and 9 casts made from Milliput (I now have made another 3 molds but are untested), 3 casts came out well enough to use. 6 were misaligned at best.

I'll take some pictures when they are painted next to the originals, but details are alittle soft so I'm going to switch to Greenstuff after the rest of the Milliput is used up and hopefully that'll improve the cast rate.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...